The layout of a kitchen is often similar to an obstacle course. Yet when you know the basic rules, it is easy to optimize it as it should.Types of arrangement depending on the surface, triangle of activity, measures and dimensions to respect, path of clean and dirty … We give you the keys to successfully develop your kitchen!
Define the adapted layout
The first thing to do when designing a kitchen is to evaluate the space available to define the optimal layout. Depending on the size and surface you have, you can choose one of the following locations:
- The kitchen in I: ideal for spaces all in length and not wide, the kitchen I must bet on its height to maximize its furnishings and storage space.
- The L-shaped kitchen is the easiest arrangement when you have a medium or large surface. And for good reason, it is based on two sides of walls forming an angle. It has the advantage of being able to accommodate a central island that can serve as additional storage, work space or bar.
- The U-shaped kitchen: only large kitchens can afford a U-shaped layout. Installed on three walls, it has everything at your fingertips.
- The open kitchen: very popular for its conviviality, the open kitchen adapts to all spaces! Whether a small or a large kitchen, it gives the feeling of space and makes the room brighter. That said, it is not made for everyone. Some people may blame him for the presence of kitchen odors and the noise of home appliances.
Draw the activity triangle
The activity of the kitchen is essentially concentrated around three areas: preparation and cooking, washing space and storage. In other words, these three pillars correspond in order to: the hob and the worktop, the sink and / or the dishwasher and the refrigerator and cupboards. It is between these poles that you will make the most trips. Ideally, the distance between these three zones should be equal or almost equal. To help you visualize, you can draw an isosceles triangle connecting each area. You will get the famous triangle of activities …
Facilitating household chores
As you have understood, the layout of your kitchen must allow you free movement. In the same way as the triangle of activity, the path of the clean and the dirty must be carefully studied. Make household chores easier in your kitchen by positioning the trash can, the sink and the dishwasher near the storage space of your dishes. Thus, you will avoid multiple comings and goings.
Respect the dimensions
An ill-equipped kitchen can quickly become a puzzle. Especially when there is no space and several family members are there at the same time. To avoid bumping into the furniture and getting into it, here are some dimensions to know to properly develop a kitchen:
- Between 85 and 95 cm high: this is what you need to evaluate the height of the worktop.
- 70 cm: this is the minimum space that you must benefit in front of a piece of furniture.
- 90 cm: this is the free space that you must leave in front of the elements that open (oven, refrigerator, dishwasher …)
- 60 cm: this is the necessary distance between the stove and the extractor hood.